The Student News Site of Central Islip High School

The Rapier

The Rapier

The Rapier

Best Self

A literary work

I think for a large part of us, as we move often past the test of time, the tribulation of one’s soul, we find ourselves asking the lifelong question, “Who are we?” And as we course this world, oftentimes, passionless by the life Reality has placed us in, or the life we choose to live, we find ourselves asking, “Who are we meant to become?” The human experience, with its vigor and hardships, has always brought mankind a sense of limitation that further carries generations to a sense of inadequacy. Most of the world have become dreamers, torn up ceaselessly with the idea of what life could be and doubtful in their capacity to be able to achieve it. One wall up, and all the others will come around. 

Restless, we have become; Our own worst enemy.

What are dreams? Are they pure white clouds in the sky that sway around the universe back and forth endlessly? Boundless and unlimited? We are humans here on the ground, reaching their hands to the sky, hoping one day they can touch these clouds and fall onto them, carrying us to places further than reality. A breakthrou-

What are dreams? Do we all have them? What do your dreams look like? How grand are they? Are those dreams old? How far do you feel from reaching them? What have you done to reach them? Why are your dreams still dreams?

Confidence: a faith in yourself. 

We all seek a sense of fulfillment, a sense of satisfaction that brings us up, floating and moving. Be with those clouds that sway the universe, back and forth endlessly. Boundless and unlimited. And as we climb the tarnished steps to reach the life we desire, that heavens with virtue, we find ourselves meeting a glass ceiling, hovering before the sky. A side of light that prevails yet is blanketed by that thing you can see through but never get through. So you stand there, looking up, light casted on your face, but never reaching. 

Dreamers. Torn up ceaselessly with the idea of what life could be. They are the ones that look at the glass ceiling and reject the grand vision of their life. 

We call these moments, when we chose not to pass the threshold to another world, fear. The unwillingness to step out of the comfort zone. The denial of all bountiful decisions. The rejection of authenticity and the loud acceptance of doubt. 

But could you imagine your life, what it would look like, if fear isn’t a dictator of your life? What would it be like to constantly climb despite all the obstacles in your path? Keep evolving and growing? Can you imagine looking at that glass ceiling, but rather than turning your back to it, you start banging on it, over, and over again, till it shatters to shards? A true and honest breakthrou-

Love: a heart in thyself.

Excel: one’s self continuously growing.

Time. Our existence will always be under the movement of time, and be the product of our moments. Moments where we may be at our highest for one, next we are trying to pick ourselves back up from our lowest. Moments where we are driving directly towards our goals, others where we are hitting roadblocks along the way. Moments where we are breathing and feeling alive, and then there will be one where we aren’t. And at that moment, we will look back in time, see what we have done, and judge our lives. 

Our time is limited. Our moments are limited. 

Collectively, I think we all thrive to be somebody- somebody grander than we think we could be. The glowing planet in the sea of stars. The beacon of light in the dark. The brightest person in the populated crowd. Yet, our whole lives, every moment of our existence, we are constantly getting told who to be, what to do, what to think, how to act, etc. Most of us have been shaped by the past- molded, clayed, and structured. We let the world, our adversities, limit us; tell us who we are. One wall up, and all the others will come around.

But could you imagine, if one day, we became the sculptors that molded our own lives? What would you look like? What do you do? What do you think? What do you say? Who will you be?

To everyone still reading, regardless of how you view time, whether it’s days, hours, minutes, seconds… make every moment count. Make it count. Our time is limited. Our moments are limited. But that limit, these obstacles, these walls- they don’t define us. They don’t tell us who we are. One wall down, and all the others will fall. We are all boundless and unlimited, and ultimately, all free to roam, so you must keep walking Musketeer. You must excel. 

Self: one’s own person.

“Who are we?” 

“Who are we meant to become?”

We don’t have to be restless no longer, or our own enemy. With the limited time we have, we must be our best selves. Make every moment count. Make them count. 

We must move closer to our dreams, and perch on the pure white clouds that sway the universe back and forth, boundless and unlimited. We must not let fear be the dictator in our lives, and break that glass ceiling that separates us from that radiant light and bring us a sense of satisfaction and fulfillment. You must learn to love yourself timelessly, despite the imperfections and bruises that make up our past and what your inner hate voice says. And we must excel; structure a growth in our life and reinvent ourselves, perhaps, just becoming our best self. 

Musketeers, allow yourself to be yourself- that’s a breakthrough. 

Make every moment you have a chance to grow. Growing: everyone must keep growing and changing. Changes may be scary to some, but living a static life is scarier. Let go of yourself and your limiting beliefs. Have an idea of who you want to be, free of all the thoughts society makes you believe you should be, and start living that life. Reinvent yourself if you desire change, and never stop climbing- the only one stop you from climbing is yourself. 

Let this be the start of your new life. 

So to everyone, I tell you to keep walking. Fly if you were meant to fly, and reach for those clouds that once were distant from you that are now near. Move endlessly, knowing we were born awake, to conquer the day. And one day, we will wake up, one breathing morning, knowing we are all boundless and unlimited, and ultimately, all free to roam. 

So keep walking. Everyone must _____.