The Simple Thing in Life: Power, Prestige, and a Ticket to See The Wiz

Chris Smith H

I said it in the article for The Play That Goes Wrong and I’m going to say it again here because I think this play proves what I said even further: This district, this community of Central Islip, is and always will be, a palace full of talented and crafty people. It is magical when the different groups of people, the different communities of CI, come together and do the thing they love and make an actual masterpiece. That’s what The Wiz was. The play was performed at the Central Islip High School Auditorium on March 17th and 18th and proved that when you mix the Pit Orchestra, Stage Crew, and Drama Cast, a masterpiece and a showcase of CI’s talent is created.

I’m beyond proud of myself for having the courage to audition for The Wiz this year. I overcame my stage fright, something I never thought I would be able to overcome. What I experienced those past few months with everyone else was more than amazing. Everyone was so sweet and understanding. I just want to thank everyone involved in the Musical and the audience for making this the highlight of hopefully my senior year.

— Hailey Casiano, cast member

This production was not just a treat for the audience to experience, but a gift for all involved. Cast member Dylan Charles explains, “I played the lion in the musical and it was a very eye opening experience. At first, I didn’t feel like I fit the mold for the character, but now since the show is over, I now see how playing the character helped me a lot of things within my own self and I’m very grateful for it.”

The book was written by William F. Brown, with the music and lyrics composed by Charlie Smalls. The play is directly based on the classic story, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, by L. Frank Baum, where the protagonist, Dorothy Gale, mistakenly arrives in the magical Land of Oz and meets three new friends: The Scarecrow, The Tin Man, and The Lion. The four of them all ease on down the Yellow Brick Road and meet the infamous Wiz, who declines them of their desires unless they kill the Wicked Witch of the West, Evilline. This is a very simple synopsis of a great story, but the real beauty is in the impact it had on all involved. “It was a very fun experience and I’m grateful to have been involved in this year’s musical,” said cast member Indigo Ho Sang.  “As a sophomore, I didn’t expect to have the opportunity of playing a supporting role such as Glinda, but the preparation for the role has definitely helped with my musical confidence. The costumes made the musical come to life and the countless hours of dancing or singing in the choir room were worth it. The cast really feels like a second family to me.”

Despite all the hard work and dedication, were there mistakes in the production? Absolutely. Wardrobe malfunctions, projector issues, and the like are just a part of live theater. However, ask anyone in the audience and they will tell you that it did not take away at all from the performance. Instead, I think it actually boosted it. I saw the play a few times: Both evening performances and a performance during school. I have to admit that every time I saw it, I was always intrigued by it. The music, the art, the choreography, the acting, all of these things never got tiring to watch. In addition, the messages the play has about home, friendship, and being who you are and not who you are told to be, never got old.  In If Central Islip I mentioned the value of a supportive community filling the seats of the audience. At The Wiz, I saw that. On the first night the play ran, there was a packed house and it was cheering to see so many people enjoy the play because it shows that we can come together as a community and celebrate the work produced. 

This was Mr. Muller’s last performance, so special shout out to him for going out with a bang on this show. I’m glad he got the honor and recognition by way of standing ovation that he deserved at the end of the show. I’m also glad that the students got their recognition at the end. The audience saw pictures of them working hard behind the scene, something that was just beautiful to see. Knowing these kids thrived for excellence and then achieved it is just outstanding.  

As I said before, this musical reminds us how gifted and hardworking CI really is. There are a lot of people that go into the making of this production, from cast members, to artists, builders, designers, singers, dancers, etc. It’s the students from a variety of groups like Stage Crew, like Drama Club, like Pit, that make this type of art. It’s also the staff and faculty of CI that help, encouraging students to not only partake in these events, but to also perform to their maximum. We also need to acknowledge the efforts and participation of the Board of Education when it comes to making a project like this, so shout out to our superintendent Dr. Sharon Dungee, Director of Music and Technology Mr. Philip Voigt, Department secretary Mrs. Mari Ortiz-Rivera, director of Buildings and Grounds Mr. Matthew Providente, and our principal Mr. Eric Haruthunian. And of course, the brilliant and just absolutely remarkable Dr. Anthony Griffin, the director of this whole project. Without these people, this project wouldn’t have been the perfect piece it was.

There were also sponsors that made these plays possible, like Carrabba’s Italian Grill and The Gateway School for the Performing Arts. These local organizations are essential to making plays like The Wiz as they give us the funds to make such projects. They also offer some assistance and resources to performers and creators. And lastly, they are examples of organizations trying to unite the community by giving kids the opportunity to reach for the stars. So, props to these businesses for helping CI’s artistic and uniting events. 

Being a part of such a huge undertaking is a life-changing experience. You will feel more connected to your peers, your school, and your community. Most importantly, you will discover more about yourself. Your confidence will grow and doing other things outside of your comfort zone will become easier. If you need more of a reason to get involved and support our CI musicians, thespians, and technicians, just read what they have to say about their experiences:

“Being in the PIT and performing the music was such an incredible honor and experience to be a part of since I was working among friends and being able to enjoy ourselves and be able to share our music with the community.”  –Theo Tilus, Pit Musician

“I loved the experience a lot. I wish I got involved way before so I would’ve been exposed to more. I loved the new friends and connections I made. I played Dorothy in “The Wiz” and it was a life changing experience. I would do it all over again if I could.”  –Monica Mauvais, cast member

“I had an amazing time working with this lovely cast per usual! Every show has a unique cast and vibe that we bring to the stage and I loved the opportunity to share all the laughs and tears with everyone involved. Also I fought really hard to sing Taylor Swift so thought that should be mentioned.”  –Rayann Rivera, cast member

“The experience was amazing and if I could relive it I would. Even though I had one line and I didn’t play a huge role I absolutely loved it. I also loved the environment, the cast, stage crew and the new friends that I have made. Behind the scenes was always fun because I got to see firsthand how the show came together to create an amazing experience for both the audience and the people who participated in it.”  –Surrey Serrano, cast member

“The Wiz was my very first show at the high school and I played one the tornadoes , a poppy, and ensemble roles as an Oz citizen and a winkie. These were all dancing roles and it was definitely a long process to get to the end result, but it was really great working with Ms. Terrana and the rest of the cast. It was also really cool to see the show gradually coming together as the set was being built and each individual scene began to piece together. Besides the tangible aspects of the show coming together, the main thing I got from this experience was the number of people I got to meet and connect with. Rehearsals became the part of my day I looked forward to the most and the long evenings went by so fast while being with a cast of people who could always make me laugh and have inspired me to become a better performer. Being in The Wiz was an incredible experience for me and it showed me as Dr. Griffin has continuously reiterated, the importance of enjoying each part of the process and being focused in the moment.”  –Daphne Vaisman, cast member

“It was the best!! the memories and friends you make from working on sets to moving them is the best feeling ever.”  –Anthony Benitez, Stage Crew

“With all honesty , it was really fun to be part of the stage crew. I’m so happy I got to meet the people who were in it. Everything came out so good towards the end and it was such a wonderful experience. can’t wait for the next show !”  –Tatiana Avelar, Stage Crew

“This musical was absolutely fantastic! The energy was incredible, the cast was great and the crew was absolutely amazing.”  -Chelsea Alvarenga, Stage Crew

“I was a trumpet player in the pit and my experience consisted of having to work hard but it was all worth it in the end and was very fun.”  –Juan Gallardo, Pit musician

“It’s always amazing how after months of working on this project separately, the cast, the crew, and PIT were able to come together and in two long weeks, assemble one of CI’s greatest musicals. There were definitely some things that didn’t go according to plan, but the harmony amongst the three groups allowed for the show to go on and for audiences to love it.”  –Mr. Ehrhardt, Stage Crew Advisor

I think it is only appropriate to end this article with the words of the man in charge of it all; words that convey the true intent of all on stage. In the Director’s message, Dr. Anthony Griffin wrote:

“Being a part of The Wiz has been a life-changing experience for our students and a source of pride for our district. I hope you and your family will enjoy tonight’s journey and bring the laughter and joy we share tonight back to each of your homes.”

Let’s end this by giving credit where it is due. Thank you to everyone who partook in the making of this and for being the icons you all are:

DRAMA CAST

Dorothy played by Monica Mauvais

Scarecrow played by Alejandro Heredia-Rodriguez

Tin Man played by Denis Jean Baptiste

Lion played by Dylan Charles

The Wiz played by Chrysnell Destina

Addaperle played by Julissa Gomez-Mondragón

Evillene/Oz Citizen played by Kelly Gaussaint

Glinda/Crow/Winkie/Oz Citizen played by Indigo Ho Sang

Aunt Em/Winkie/ Oz Citizen played by Iyanna Mukoro

Uncle Henry/Citizen/Winkie/ Escort played by Giovanni Miner

Lord High Underling/Poppy/Oz Citizen played by Jamaya Marrow

Messenger/Oz Citizen played by Sukhman Ghuman

First Mouse played by Kadeen Kelly

Second Mouse/Winkie/Stranger played by Jaqueline McGee

Tornado/Winkie/Oz Citizen/ Poppy played by Daphne Vaisman

Gate Keeper played by Rayann Rivera

Crow/Oz Citizen/Winkie played by Ijdsrobo Duboh

Munchkin/Oz Citizen/Winkie played by Ariel Hubbard

Munchkin/Oz Citizen/Winkie played by Christina Hightower

Munchkin/Winkie/Poppy played by Hailey Casiano

Munchkin/Oz Citizen/Winkie played by Nova Ventura-Rios

Munchkin/Oz Citizen/Stranger played by Sam Cruz-Laynez

Yellow Brick Road/Winkie/Oz Citizen played by Jamiah McCurdy

Yellow Brick Road/Winkie/Oz Citizen played by Mia Adams

Yellow Brick Road/Winkie/Oz Citizen played by Skylar Sansone

Yellow Brick Road/Winkie/Oz Citizen played by Tiffani McKelvin

Crow/Winkie/Oz Citizen played by Gabriella Campos

Crow/Winkie/Oz Citizen played by Jamie Paul

Stranger/Winkie played by Brissia Aguliar

Stranger/Winkie/Oz Citizen played by Diana Amaya

Winged Monkey/Oz Citizen played by Chukwukumnaka Amene

Oz Citizen / Escort played by Matthew Juarez

Oz Citizen /Winkie played by Surrey Surrano

Oz Citizen /Winkie played by Merab Jackson

Oz Citizen /Winkie played by Iliana Banos

Oz Citizen/Winkie played by Kimberly Larin

Oz Citizen/Winkie/Tornado played by Katie Ly

Oz Citizen /Winkie /Tornado played by Azly Naranjo Rayran

Stranger/Oz Citizen/Winkie played by Fritzi Leest

Oz Citizen played by Makayla Parks

Oz Citizen/Glenda played byKaren Booker

Winkie played by Jenny Pierre Louis

Oz Citizen/Winkie/Tornado/ Poppy played by Katherine Carbajal

Queen Kahlidah played by Ms. Stacey Terrana

Winged Monkeys played by Eric Harithunian, Michael Blum, Andre Griffin, Jamel Patterson, Rick Brzozinski, Jay Condrill, Ato Thomas, Eric Perez, Matthew Hawker, Jason Pastore, Eric Unverzagt, Stacey Terrana, Mr. Ortiz

Pit Orchestra

Conductor: Steven A. Muller

Synthesizer Strings: Alexander Vaisman

Flute: Dorian Williams

Clarinet: Sarah Sosa, Theo Tilus, Gabriela Romero

Alto Saxophone: Diego Sanchez, Emely Corado

Tenor Saxophone: Gabrielle Leahong

Baritone Saxophone: Jonathan Exavier

French Horn: Christopher Buruca

Trumpet: Juan Gallardo, Jayden Chavez, Rebeca Konnaris

Trombone: Yonathan Benitez, Christopher Castillo

Piano: Kevin Pyle

Guitar: Kevin Barry

Bass Guitar: James Dougherty

Percussion: Sebastian Molina, Alexandra Vasquez

Drum Set: Rebecca Muller

Production Crew

Director: Anthony Griffin, Ed.D.

Orchestra Director: Steven A. Muller

Musical Director: John Anthony

Set Designer/Technical Director: Darren Ehrhardt

Assistant Technical Director: Emily Pascal

Choreographer: Stacey Terrana

Auditorium Manager: Michael Romano

Art Director: Theresa O’Connor

Costumes designer: Shannon Fee

Make-Up artist: Ester Hand

Business/Publicity Manager: Theresa O’Connor

Rehearsal Pianist: George MeKenzie

Lighting director: Michael Romano

Dance Captains: Jamaya Marrow/Tiffani McKelvin

Stage Manager: Jazmine Alfaro

Sound Engineering: Emily Pascal/Emely Rivas

Lighting Booth directors: the Lighting Booth Guys

Lead Set Constructionist: Anthony Benitez

Scene Designers: Chelsea Alvarenga/Emely Rivas

Production Managers: Chelsea Alvarenga/Mayerlin Benitez

Stage Crew: Chelsea Alvarenga, Joseph Archilla, Tatiana Avelar, Yoni Banegas, Madeline Baraca, Anthony Benitez, Enoc Benitez, Mayerlin Benitez, Adriana Cano, Gustavo Castillo, Sebastin Campos, Tiffany Chuquilin, Daniel R. Ehrhardt III, Andrea Funez, Cindy Garcia, Johana Garcia, Lisseth Hernandez, Emily Pascal, Gerald Rayco, Katelyn Reyes, Emely Rivas, Jeralyn Rivera, Kamila Sarmiento, Porfirio Sosa