The Student News Site of Central Islip High School

The Rapier

The Rapier

The Rapier

FBLA’s Sea of Hearts

Along with their advisor, Ms. Alvarez, the Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) is continuing their  efforts in giving back to the community. You may have noticed the Valentine’s Day hearts hanging on the bulletin board across from room 200. FBLA was capitalizing on people’s desire to declare their affections for others at this special time of year. Their goal was to raise $200 and through their hard work they were able to raise $260. The money raised will be donated to the Marty Lyons Foundation, an organization that grants wishes to terminally ill children.

If the name Marty Lyons sounds familiar to you, it may be because he is a retired NFL player. He spent his entire NFL career, from 1979-1989 playing for the NY Jets. In 1990, the Jets introduced the Marty Lyons award which is given annually to players who give the most back to the community. He was the recipient of the first award, largely due to the Marty Lyons Foundation (MLF) which he co-founded in 1982.

According to their website, the goal of the MLF is to “make critically ill children who were in unimaginable and unfortunate battles with their health to feel as special as he felt playing for the New York Jets in the NFL.” Currently there are 11 chapters in 14 states and hundreds of volunteers helping them to reach their goals, just like our very own FBLA members. Thanks to their efforts, over 8,400 wishes have been granted and over $43,000,000 has been raised.

If you would like to learn more about the Marty Lyons Foundation, visit their website here.