The Student News Site of Central Islip High School

The Rapier

The Rapier

The Rapier

A Time for Giving

A Time for Giving

Thanksgiving is a cherished holiday that has been bringing families together for many years. With the busy lives we all live, it seems almost impossible to make time for our families and loved ones. Thanksgiving is the perfect holiday for families to bond, catch up and connect over a delicious homemade feast. Unfortunately, many families don’t have this reality. Many families struggle with putting food on the table every single day let alone on Thanksgiving. This time of year is the time of gifting. It is important to keep everyone in mind when getting excited about the upcoming holidays. On November 20, with the help of CIHS Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA), CI Connects for Change put together their annual food baskets and turkey donations in order to lend an extra hand to our community during this holiday season.

FBLA members came together at the American Legion to help bring families of Central Islip a blessed Thanksgiving. The FBLA members participated in putting together beautiful baskets filled with a great assortment of food items. Canned vegetables, rice, stuffing, mashed potatoes, drinks, and snack cakes were only a few of the items that were included in these baskets. There were 15 baskets assembled for 15 designated families. All of the excess food items were put in boxes and also donated. Families came to pick up their baskets throughout the afternoon and received turkeys along with them.

Christmas gift wrapping for the toy drive also took place. Several gifts including toys, games, and beauty products were wrapped up in order to be given to kids of all ages. All of these gifts are going to be placed in huge boxes that were beautifully gift wrapped by some FBLA members. The gifts will be given at the toy drive that will take place at the fire department. These beautifully wrapped gifts will surely make several children happy during the holiday season. 

Events like these are what make Central Islip the community that it is. A strong community keeps each other in mind and works together to make sure things get done. With the help of CI Connects for Change, Ms. Alvarez (FBLA’s advisor), FBLA members, and several other members of our community, 15 families now have a chance at a beautiful and fulfilling Thanksgiving.