The Student News Site of Central Islip High School

The Rapier

The Rapier

The Rapier

The Stars Behind the Scenes

The Stars Behind the Scenes

Many people think of the stars of the show being the people in the spotlight. While they are very talented and their performances are what most of the audience will remember, shows could not even happen if not for the stars behind the scenes.

The staff of The Rapier spoke to some members of the stage crew to find out more about what they do. Some crew members are in charge of sound. They handle the microphones, sound effects and slide shows that are shown on the projectors. If you saw The Wiz last year you were probably very impressed by their work.

The camaraderie among the crew is obvious. This might be due to the way the crew members work as a team and support each other over the years.   Upperclassmen are generally in charge as underclassmen learn the ropes. As those underclassmen move up through the grades they take over and pass on the knowledge that they have been taught. Many would say that this experience is one of the best that they had as they look back on their high school careers.

Stage crew work starts happening long before the curtain goes up on opening night. It is the crew members who build the sets and then move them around the stage during the show. Many of the students who are in woodworking class help with the building. However, even those without the knowledge and skills of those students are able to pitch in with some of the smaller tasks like painting. Making it all come together is a huge feat and requires everyone to participate. One crew member highlighted the importance of the work that they do by referencing a Broadway show. They explained, “In some shows, the sets actually play a part in the story telling. For example, in Hamilton, as the country is being built, so is the brick wall in the back.”

Knowing that the show cannot go on without sound, lights, and set can be stressful for the crew. One crew member explained that “learning the cues isn’t that stressful, but the time constraints are. In the Wiz we only had 40 seconds to get the pieces on stage and the people on the sets. That was stressful.” We often imagine the actors with butterflies in their stomach before taking their places on the stage, but it it became increasingly obvious as we talked to more stage crew members that the pressure is just as strong for those directing the spotlight as it is for those illuminated by it.