A Great Opportunity: JCI at SCCC

Rapier Staff

Mr. Condrill arranged for representatives from Suffolk Community College to come to the little theater and discuss the Johnson Controls Community College Partnership Program Grant for Skilled Trades Education and HVAC Technician Training. This program means great opportunities for students; especially students who plan on pursuing a career in the trades.

Johnson Controls is a company that provides digital technology services to places like schools, healthcare facilities, airports, hotels, stadiums, and more. For example, their company makes and sells equipment like thermostats, fire alarms, and so much more. They have a focus on making buildings Net Zero buildings, which demonstrates their commitment to sustainable advances. Their representatives were talking to us about the various jobs that are available through Johnson Controls. They need people to design and develop the equipment, sell and market the equipment, and even install and maintain the equipment.

If that sounds like something you might be interested in, then you will be even more excited about the next piece of information that the presenters shared: The Johnson Controls training program at Suffolk Community College will cost you less and make you more money than other programs. After scholarships, including one that helps with the cost of your tools, the average student only spends about $6,000 on the entire program. That may seem like a lot of money, but you will start at a salary of around $60,000. Mario Lucero, a Johnson Controls representative who was speaking about heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC), said that some HVAC technicians are making $200/hour. Even better than the fact that you will make a solid salary after graduation, this program also offers paid internships while you learn.

Many of us are concerned about taking on student debt and then not finding employment to pay it off. This program will leave you with minimal debt, if any, and the job growth in the fields represented by Johnson Controls is outpacing the rate of graduating students ready to take those jobs. In other words, this is a great opportunity!

Want to learn more? Click here.